Collaborative Advanced Research Imaging (CARI) program
The VCU C. Kenneth and Dianne Wright Center for Clinical and Translational Research offers a wide range of facilities, services and tools, including CARI. Located at 203 E. Cary St. in Richmond, Va., CARI houses a new research-dedicated 3T Philips Ingenia MRI scanner. Some of the scanner’s advantages are listed below.
- Uses Philips’ Direct Digital processing that improves the signal-to-noise ratio substantially
- Includes both front and rear facing mirrors for visual stimuli and movie projection
- The radiofrequency signal is totally digital at the source in order to reduce noise
- Patient-specific B0 and B1 shimming
- Large bore to help participants feel less confined and less claustrophobic
In addition to the research-dedicated scanner, the CARI facility has more than 6,000 square feet of research-dedicated space, which houses the following:
- Mock scanner
- Urine drug screen collection toilet
- Multiple interview rooms
- Sound attenuated testing chambers for human behavioral laboratory testing
- Physical exam room with electrocardiogram
- Dispensary for medication storage and dispensing
Recent upgrades to the CCTR-CARI research dedicated Philips Ingenia 3T MRI system include MR shear Elastography (MRE) to measure liver fibrosis by automatically generating quantitative images (elastograms) of the entire liver that depict shear stiffness in units of kilopascals (kPa).
Other recent upgrades include Cardiac Expert Specialist for acquisition of multi-slice, dynamic tissue studies with saturation prepulse (for T1 weighting), WET saturation pulses (B1 insensitive) for uniform tissue suppression on 3.0T, Look Locker methods for determination of optimal inversion delay time, myocardial tagging with REST grids for regional wall motion studies, and real-time interactive imaging.
Another recent cardiac MRI upgrade is StarQuant which provides single breathhold, multi-echo, ECG-triggered acquisitions to provide T2*, R2*, T2 and R2 maps for assessment of myocardial tissue firstname.lastname@example.org
To request CARI services, visit here